Mayor Eric Adams told reporters on Thursday that he will deploy 1,000 more police officers to the Bronx following a string of shootings in the borough, some of them fatal.
"We have 1,000 more officers that are being deployed up here to go after the hot spots," he said.
Adams also said he wants the city’s crisis management teams and other professional mediation groups to facilitate a meeting with local gang leaders “in the next few days.”
“I am going to see if I can convince some of the gang members to come and sit down,” Adams said. “It could be at Gracie Mansion, or it could be here. We need to get around the table and engage in a conversation.”
The announcement comes after multiple shootings took place in the borough in recent days, including a fatal shooting at a
Adams spoke at Haffen Park, the site of Saturday’s shooting, alongside Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark, Borough President Vanessa Gibson and other officials Thursday evening. NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch did not appear to be in attendance.
The mayor first alluded to the plan during an unrelated press event on Wednesday, saying, “we’re going to put in place a full mobilization plan.”
“You know, the issue with the Bronx, we’re seeing gangs and young shooters and recidivism,” he said at the time. “That’s a terrible equation.”
Adams said that the additional Bronx officers would normally be deployed to monitor the West Indian Day Parade in Brooklyn during this time of the year.
“We’ve actually looked all over the city and wherever we can get any able-bodied officer — we’ve gotten officers from behind the desk — to be out this weekend,” he said. “We want to make sure that we have the right deployment to deal with this violence.”
NYPD data shows that 215 people have been shot in the Bronx so far this year as of Sunday – a total that doesn’t include several shootings that have since taken place, some of them fatal. That’s down 23.5% from the same time last year, when 281 people had been shot.